[linux-lvm] Importing a VG with existing name

Hello,

can anybody tell me what the best way is to import a volume group, when the
vg's name already exists in the system?

Many Linux installations (like Fedora or RedHat) use default names for volume
groups. Whenever the issue arises to access the VGs from another system,
trying to imprt the VG leads to an inconsistent LVM database.

I failed to rename the still exported VG, which is already plugged into
thethis leads to a wrong checksum.

So: what is the best solution?

Best regards

Oliver Tennert

--
Waiter: "Tea or coffee, gentlemen?"
1st customer: "I'll have tea."

Dr. Oliver Tennert
Senior Solutions Engineer
CAx Professional Services
                                        science + computing ag
phone   +49(0)7071 9457-598             Hagellocher Weg 71-75
fax     +49(0)7071 9457-411             D-72070 Tuebingen, Germany
O Tennert science-computing de          www.science-computing.de