[linux-lvm] problem when creating a volumegroup on an external drive

Klaus Strebel klaus.strebel at gmx.net
Fri May 12 14:57:56 UTC 2006

Joep Blom schrieb:
> Patrick Caulfield wrote:
>
>> Joep Blom wrote:
>>

>>> Hi,
>>> I'm new to the list and new to the use of LVM. I have read the manuals
>>> (which mainly are for LVM1) and am using LVM2.
>>> I have one question. I just created a new volumegroup on an USB external
>>> disk.
>>>

>> It's fantastically unlikely that a single 'vgcreate VG0' command would
>> create
>> two VGs.
>>
>> What is much more likely is that VolGroup00 already existed and you just
>> didn't notice it. That's the default name for a volume group created by a
>> Fedora install BTW
>>
>> patrick

> Patrick,
> Thanks for the quick reply. However, this is external USB disk (250Gb
> and I just added it to the system as a backup disk. FC5 was running and
> before I did anything the disk was formatted as a FAT32 disk I then did
> a pvcreate. When I checked the disk was empty (as was expected). The
> vgcreate did the strange thing, which is a problem as I cant remove this
> VolGroup00 as there exists one on the other (2) disks and when I asses
> VolGroup00 it rightly goes to the original VolGroup00, which I cannot
> delete.
> I think the only solution is fdisk and see if it will free the whole
> disk. But any other ideas?
> Joep
Hi Joep,

well, what Patrick meant is, that your system (forget that USB drive in
this moment) already has a VG called VolGroup00 on your internal disk.
The modern FC distros use it as default (i think, i'm using SuSE ;-) ).
Before messing up more using fdisk, just provide us with the output of a
vgdisplay -a ;-) get an impression of the 'disaster' :-).

Btw. the volume group your wanted to create has the name VG0, not
VolGroup00 ;-) ..

Ciao
Klaus

--