Re: [linux-lvm] problem when creating a volumegroup on an external drive

On 5/13/06, Joep Blom <jlblom neuroweave nl> wrote:
One last question: Why can't  I use "pvcreate /dev/sda" but have to use
"pvcreate /dev/sda1" (as the LV HOW-TO stated the former).
Hope you can help me out with this as well.

pvcreate man-page says that:
<quote>
For *whole disk devices only* the partition table must be erased,
which will effectively destroy all data on that disk. This can be done
by zeroing the first sector with:
 dd if=/dev/zero of=PhysicalVolume bs=512 count=1
</quote>

--
Markus Laire