Re: [linux-lvm] problem when creating a volumegroup on an external drive

Markus Laire wrote:

On 5/13/06, Joep Blom <jlblom neuroweave nl> wrote:

One last question: Why can't  I use "pvcreate /dev/sda" but have to use
"pvcreate /dev/sda1" (as the LV HOW-TO stated the former).
Hope you can help me out with this as well.

pvcreate man-page says that:
<quote>
For *whole disk devices only* the partition table must be erased,
which will effectively destroy all data on that disk. This can be done
by zeroing the first sector with:
 dd if=/dev/zero of=PhysicalVolume bs=512 count=1
</quote>

Thanks, Marcus,
I have read that also but pvcreate (lvm2) worked nevertheless. I only have the warning with fdisk that it encounters an "invalid flag 0x000 in partition table 4 which will be corrected with write". So I simply don't use fdisk on that disk and I don't know if this is harmful. But thanks for reminding me.
Joep