Re: [linux-lvm] problem when creating a volumegroup on an external drive

Markus Laire wrote:

On 5/15/06, Joep Blom <jlblom neuroweave nl> wrote:

Markus Laire wrote:
> pvcreate man-page says that:
> <quote>
> For *whole disk devices only* the partition table must be erased,
> which will effectively destroy all data on that disk. This can be done
> by zeroing the first sector with:
>  dd if=/dev/zero of=PhysicalVolume bs=512 count=1
> </quote>

Thanks, Marcus,
I have read that also but pvcreate (lvm2) worked nevertheless. I only
have the warning with fdisk that it encounters an "invalid flag 0x000 in
partition table 4 which will be corrected with write". So I simply don't
use fdisk on that disk and I don't know if this is harmful. But thanks
for reminding me.

Well, since fdisk is "Partition table manipulator for Linux", you
clearly shouldn't use it on disks which don't have a partition-table.
And if you use whole disk for LVM, you don't have any partitions there
(and shouldn't have partition-table either), and so fdisk is of no use
for such a disk.

I agree.
Joep