Re: [linux-lvm] realtime snapshot or ?

On 4/30/06, Omer Faruk Sen <omer faruk net> wrote:
<snip>

I have found that nbd ord drbd does similar things. But nbd just exports a
block device (JUST ONE block device) so other machines can mount it. DRBD
is closer to what I want but I can't mount drbd on secondary (backup
machine) even as read-only

You should check out drbd 0.8 and see if it still has the same restriction.  0.8 is in beta or pre-release.  It is supposed to allow "active/active"  environments.  I believe a clustered FS like GFS is intended to be used with the new functionality, but it may be that the slave can do a read-only mount.  If not, you could use GFS as your filesystem and achieve your goal.  The big trouble with that is locking.  I'm pretty sure GFS only does file locking.  Not very helpful for a DB.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer
The Norcross Group