[linux-lvm] Xraids and lvm

Michael T. Babcock mike at mikebabcock.ca
Thu May 25 14:13:41 UTC 2006

Luca Berra wrote:
> On Thu, May 25, 2006 at 08:45:13AM -0400, Dustin Schuemann wrote:
>> I have two xraid's that are on /dev/sda1 and /dev/sdb1. The device on
>> /dev/sda1 is formatted ext3. What I would like to do is format
>> /dev/sdb1 as
>> ext3 and then create a volume out of the two that doesn't lose the
>> data on
>> /dev/sda1. Is this possible without reformatting and then creating the
>> volume and copying back.
>
> NO

However, you could make a VG with just sdb1 instead of formatting it
ext3, create the LV on it, format /that/ as ext3 and copy the sda1 data
to the new LV (on sdb1).  Once copied off, you can make a PV over top of
sda1 (erasing it) and add it to the same VG, making your VG span both
devices without losing data.

This only works if you're not booting off sda1 and if sdb1 is at least
as big as the data set on sda1.
--
Michael T. Babcock
http://mikebabcock.ca