[linux-lvm] rescue data after hd crash

chris cspot at gmx.at
Wed May 31 12:34:04 UTC 2006

hi all!

sorry if this is a double post, but i think the first post didn't succeed
due to some registration race condition.

so here's my problem:

I have create a volume group with 4 250GByte harddisks with an ext3 file
system on the 1TB result.

now the third harddisk failed and the volume group is "dead" - obviously.

lvscan tells me (like any other lv*, pv* command):
   Couldn't find device with uuid 'A57CS6-SFlw-1ROR-uIvO-cX2o-OE2g-N3SVZN'.
   Couldn't find all physical volumes for volume group media_volgrp.

in my understanding many of the files should still be intact (those on the
first two disks), and I would like to rescue these files.

i found no hints about such a crash recovery.
(checked http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/)

my approach would be to "fake" the third disk, as see what the filesystem
makes out of it.

any help is welcome.

thanks, chris