[linux-lvm] rescue data after hd crash

hi!

I have create a volume group with 4 250GByte harddisks with an ext3 file system.

now the third harddisk failed and the volume group is "dead", obviously.

lvscan tells me:
  Couldn't find device with uuid 'A57CS6-SFlw-1ROR-uIvO-cX2o-OE2g-N3SVZN'.
  Couldn't find all physical volumes for volume group media_volgrp.

in my understanding many of the files are still intact (those on the first two disks), and I would like to rescue these files.

i found no hints about such a crash recovery.
(checked http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/)

my approach would be to "fake" the third disk, as see what the filesystem makes out of it.

any help is welcome.

cheers, chris