Re: [linux-lvm] rescue data after hd crash

Thanks Heinz,

this looks like what i was serching for. still, it didn't work out.

the first call of this command issued (apart from multiple "couln't find device..")
"device-mapper ioctl cmd 9 failed: Das Argument ist ung├╝ltig"
(i hate german error messages, who invented this? it says "illegal argument")

but also "1 logic voliume(s) .. now active".

lvscan says "Volume group ... not found"
mount fails.

what should i try next?

regards, Chris

PS: about the stripes, I don't think I have any.

On Wed, 31 May 2006 23:31:54 +0200, Heinz Mauelshagen <mauelshagen redhat com> wrote:

vgchange -ay --partial

On Wed, May 31, 2006 at 01:45:46PM +0100, Graham Wood wrote:
On Wed, May 31, 2006 at 02:34:04PM +0200, chris wrote:
> I have create a volume group with 4 250GByte harddisks with an ext3 file
> system on the 1TB result.
Stripe or concat?

> now the third harddisk failed and the volume group is "dead" - obviously. The way you created the volume had no redundancy - therefore 25% of your data is gone, as
well as the volume's "completeness".

If you did a concat, then you (with playing) may be able to get some data back from the first 500GB of the volume - but I wouldn't want to rely on anything that came back from it. I'd suggest getting hold of 2 identical blank disks, and doing a binary (dd) copy of disks 1 and 2 to them - and then work on them. You might be able to use vgcfg{backup,restore} to tell the system that this volume is actually only on 2 disks.... However, anything that references data > 500GB into the volume is almost definitely lost - because although you've got 750G-1TB, it's almost all going to be linked back into the section that you've lost.

If you did a stripe, then you can forget getting any data back off it. You've lost every 4th block of whatever size you striped on. E.g. with a 64k stripe size, you'll have lost from 128k-192k, 384k-448k, etc. - and there's almost definitely going to be nothing
salvagable from that.

Graham