Re: [linux-lvm] Changing the UUID of a VG and a LV

On 11/16/06, Steverding, Kai <Kai Steverding gws ms> wrote:
Hi !
I have the following problem :

For backup purposes, i take SAN-Snapshot Copies of my Linux machine. I
deploy my new machines from those copies, too. This has the effect, that a
clone of a machine has the exact same disk the original has including PV
UUID, VG name, VG UUID, LV name and lv uuid. I found out that i can change
the PV UUID with pvchange -u and the VG name with vgrename , but is there a
way to change the UUID's of the VG and the LV's ? I need it, because i mount
all those snapshots on a backup-server and this doesn't work because of the
same UUIDs.

Look for "Hardware snapshots and LVM2?" and "Altering a Physical
Volume's UUID" in the list archives.