[linux-lvm] LVM2: vgcfgrestore lvm behavior

Gerry Reno grenoml at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 27 20:33:33 UTC 2006

--- "Bryn M. Reeves" <breeves at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi Gerry,
>
> Under LVM2, the --file option is only used when you are actually
> restoring metadata. For example:
>
> vgcfgrestore --file /tmp/vg0_backup.vg vg0
>
> Would restore the vg0 volume group's metadata from
> /tmp/vg0_backup.vg.
>
> Currently, -l and -ll will only look at the backups in the
> /etc/lvm/archive directory.
>
> Regards,
> Bryn.

Bryn,
  The ability to use -l and -ll to review an LVM backup file is very
useful when used with -f.  I'm sure I'm not the only one that keeps LVM
backup files in locations other than /etc/lvm/archive.  What if you
lose /etc and are booted from rescue?  Can RedHat please restore the
lost functionality?  This was very useful under LVM1.

thx,
Gerry