[linux-lvm] Restore after lvmove crash

fabsk at free.fr fabsk at free.fr
Sun Sep 3 00:26:44 UTC 2006

Hi,

Today, I tried to "lvmove" a logical volume (my first one) to another I just
created. But after a few percent, my computer crashed and now I can't use my
LVM anymore. I am using Kubuntu 6.06 and LVM2. More details:

When I try to do an operation on the LVM (using a live CD), I get the following
error:

  Couldn't find volume 'pvmove0' for segment 'start_extent'.
  Couldn't read all logical volumes for volume group lvm2.
  Volume group "lvm2" inconsistent
  Couldn't find volume 'pvmove0' for segment 'start_extent'.
  Couldn't read all logical volumes for volume group lvm2.
  Inconsistent metadata copies found - updating to use version 39

Then I tried to do "vgreduce --removemissing lvm2" ("lvm2" is the name of my VG)
and it destroyed everything. I was able to restore the VG definition with
"vgcfgrestore" by finding the CFG in the partitions, and now I am back to the
previous state: the definitions of my PV and LV seem OK, but there is still
this "pvmove0" around that prevent me to use my LVM.
I don't understand where LVM2 can find this "pvmove0", I thought that if should
only use the definitions in my restore file...

If anyone have any idea, it would be really nice, I am investigating for hours
now and I'm stuck.

Thank you for your attention
Fabien