[linux-lvm] Is this possible with LVM?

Lothar Werzinger lothar at tradescape.biz
Wed Aug 15 20:03:33 UTC 2007

Hi,

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad T61 with a second disk drive for the Ultrabay.

I created one PV on the internal and external (Ultrabay) each
I created a VG with these two PVs.
I created a LV (LV1) that uses exclusively PV intern
I created a LV (LV2) that uses both PVs in striped mode.

So far everything works fine.

What I would like to do is to unmount LV2 and be able to remove the external
disk from the Ultrabay to replace it with a DVD drive while still be able to
acess the filesystem on LV1 (which uses only space on the internal disk).
I would like to do this to backup data from LV1 to DVD-RW.

Is this possible with LVM? How would I go and prepare the external disk for
removal? How would I reconnect if I insert the disk again.

Thanks in advance!

Lothar