[linux-lvm] using lvconvert for mirroring

Jonathan Brassow jbrassow at redhat.com
Mon Aug 20 14:44:58 UTC 2007

Try using the additional '-a' argument (e.g. 'lvs -a -o +devices).
That should tell you more.

The reason you are getting errors with the last convert mentioned is
because you didn't specify enough devices.  Mirroring (with disk
logging) requires at least 3 devices - two for the actual mirror
images and one for the log.

There are some pending enhancements to the allocation code that allow
the log device to be placed on the same physical disk as a mirror
device - thus only requiring two devices.  I'm not sure when the
allocation changes will go in.

  brassow