[linux-lvm] Flexible storga: LVM setup on top of mdadm sets. Good idea or not?

Stuart D. Gathman stuart at bmsi.com
Tue Aug 21 00:33:26 UTC 2007

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007, Luca Berra wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 22, 2007 at 02:57:33PM -0400, Stuart D. Gathman wrote:
> >The main drawback to md raid1 is that it always resynchronizes
> >the *entire* partition when a disk goes offline temporarily.  I also

> False. md uses bitmaps to avoid this.

Ok, I just tested this with Centos-5.0, kernel-2.6.18-8.1.8.el5.
I shutdown with md1 50% resynced, and when it boots, it starts over
at the beginning.  Maybe we are talking about different things, but
it is a major annoyance that it restarts the sync from the beginning
if it misses just one update (e.g. unexpected power failure or reboot).

--
	      Stuart D. Gathman <stuart at bmsi.com>