Re: [linux-lvm] LVM mirrors and drive failure

On Aug 21, 2007, at 2:27 PM, Stuart D. Gathman wrote:

The current LVM mirror code creates 3 (or more - assume just 2
copies for discussion) pieces: copy0, copy1, log.  It is obvious what
should and probably does happen if the PV for copy0 or copy1 goes away. But what happens if the PV for log goes away? Does it convert to a memory
log?  When you reboot, does it do a full sync, like with a memory log?
Which copy is copied from and which is copied to for the sync?

Yes, it converts to an in-memory log. Yes, you will do a full sync if you reboot.

We are working on code to use hot-spares. In that case, the log would simply be replaced.

Also, we are working on some allocation changes so you can have a log and 2 copies on just two devices.

Best thing to do now is to replace the log manually if it fails. If the mirror is in-sync, that will be preserved, and the mirror will not need to be resynced.

 brassow