[linux-lvm] Inconsistent VG

C'est Pierre cestpierre at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 14:57:39 UTC 2007

Hello everyone,

We're facing a curious inconsistency problem. From our checks, we've
concluded that vgdw2 metadata doesn't include lvol4, however, it exists,
it's created and it's mountable, altho, an lvdisplay on it fails and a
vgdisplay doesn't show it either.

  WARNING: Volume group "vgdw2" inconsistent
  --- Volume group ---
  VG Name               vgdw2
  System ID
  Format                lvm2
  Metadata Areas        25
  Metadata Sequence No  166
  VG Access             read/write
  VG Status             resizable
  MAX LV                0
  Cur LV                16
  Open LV               16
  Max PV                0
  Cur PV                24
  Act PV                24
  VG Size               1.84 TB
  PE Size               4.00 MB
  Total PE              483048
  Alloc PE / Size       465150 / 1.77 TB
  Free  PE / Size       17898 / 69.91 GB
  VG UUID               GTMKwf-S9Ma-34DN-9lxx-8qzb-3uML-8KxjJH

Does someone have any guesses?
Aside from that, we've checked from the lvm/archive/vgdw2_* files. The
recent-most, doesn't include lvol4. We've managed to pull the "lvol4 { }"
part from an older file and confirmed all pv's in the segment definitions
existed in the destination, but it didn't help either.

Thanks,
Pierre