Re: [linux-lvm] LVM - History

On Sun, Feb 25, 2007 at 01:17:13AM -0800, k wrote:
i don't believe IBM ever released their lvm as
open-source.

Luca,
This is where I got the idea about IBM and LVM
releases..

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reports/1848/1/
"On the other hand, IBM has released the source code
to its Journaled File System (JFS) and Logical Volume
Manager (LVM) from the AIX operating system so that
these technologies can be deployed on Linux. The
company has not publicly stated which other products,
if any, will be released as Open Source code in the
near future. All of the kernel and GNU C changes,
however, are released as Open Source."

I know jfs is part of the linux kernel, i never saw ibm lvm in there.
that's it.

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=959686&admit=-682735245+1172394847567+28353475

"I have never worked on AIX, but during my
participation in this forum I have many times read
that HP's LVM is drived from IBM's LVM."

i never found any proof that supports the above, but honestly i never
cared much.
If my memory serves me well there is no IBM or HP copyright in linux
lvm1.

--
Luca Berra -- bluca comedia it
       Communication Media & Services S.r.l.