Re: [linux-lvm] pvmove ioctl errors

Indeed I had the same error. Nothing I tried worked until I upgraded the device mapper tools/libraries and the lvm stuff (not sure which one fixed it, but doing both did)

Then it worked like a charm.

Ross Vandegrift wrote:
Hi everyone,

Judging by the archives, a few others have seen this issue, but I'm
getting errors when I try to pvmove off a PV to remove it from my VG:

root turalyon:~# pvmove -v /dev/hda2
    Wiping cache of LVM-capable devices
    Finding volume group "vg0"
    Archiving volume group "vg0" metadata (seqno 16).
    Creating logical volume pvmove0
    Moving 33769 extents of logical volume vg0/home
    Found volume group "vg0"
    Creating vg0-home
    Resuming vg0-home (253:0)
    Updating volume group metadata
    Creating volume group backup "/etc/lvm/backup/vg0" (seqno 17).
    Found volume group "vg0"
    Found volume group "vg0"
    Suspending vg0-home (253:0)
    Found volume group "vg0"
    Creating vg0-pvmove0
  device-mapper: reload ioctl failed: Invalid argument
  ABORTING: Temporary mirror activation failed.  Run pvmove --abort.
    Found volume group "vg0"
  device-mapper: reload ioctl failed: Invalid argument
  device-mapper: reload ioctl failed: Invalid argument
root turalyon:~#

I noticed one post that indicated pvmove requires snapshot support,
which I don't normally use.  Before running this pvmove, I modprobed
all of the dm-* modules just to make sure.

The box in question is running Ubuntu Edgy Eft on i386.  I've been
able to recover just fine from this by rebooting, running pvmove
--abort, and then rebooting again.

Obviously this prevents me from removing the volume though.  Thanks in
advance for any help!