[linux-lvm] RE: [dm-devel] [RFC] Multiple Snapshots - Manageability problem

Vijai Babu Madhavan mvijai at novell.com
Fri Jan 12 04:46:42 UTC 2007

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the response. I am trying to keep my mails short as I
believe the lack of responses to my mails are probably due to the
fact that they are long, but its kinda difficult to keep them small
and still convey the various aspects. :)

<chris.j.wilson at verizonbusiness.com> wrote:
> I haven't read through all of these options yet (but I will).  I will
> say that synthesizing all your cow objects into one pool will be
> difficult.  You're going to have issues with garbage collection of old
> copies and may have to build in some scavenge or compress functions
> which will take system resources.  From my experience with disk based
> de-duplication technologies you're heading down a hole which can be a
> dark place.  There are performance issues and maintaining all those
> pointers is problematic.  The virtual pool sounds good, and works very
> will for primary storage functions (3PAR) but in practice for backup
> applications with virtual pools for deduplication it's not been so hot.

I completely agree that its not going to be easy. But, I guess some price
needs to be paid to get the benefits. If snapshots could be implemented
at the file system level, we do not necessarily need to redo lot of these,
but building snapshot functionality into the file system itself comes with
the obvious drawback. If only we could build some framework at the
file system layer, but some thing that is not tied to each file system would
be good. I have not had a chance to spend time in this space yet, do others
have any ideas in this space?

> I'm not clear what the issue is with maintaining multiple cow snapshots.
> Just exactly how many are users asking for?  Keeping more than a few cow
> snaps online is not using the function for what it was meant for.  COW
> technology is for immediate rollback (to me) and not for long term
> backup images.

>From what we see from the users/IT admins, I see two common uses of
snapshots.

a) Snapshots for backups
b) Snapshots as backups

In the first case, snapshots are obtained to avoid the open file errors, etc
and keeping few snapshots online is more than sufficient.

But, increasingly, we see lot of admins trying to deploy D2D2T
(Disk->Disk->Tape), to avoid the many problems associated with the tape
backups. And, Snapshots are one of the very efficient way of keeping the
disk backups to protect against logical failures (of course not for hardware
failures).

Hence, the second case is becoming a strong use-case, as admins want to
take 3-4 snapshots a day and recycle them after a week or two weeks.
Based on the frequency and the time a snapshot is kept alive, number of
snapshots easily get into double digit, in some cases, triple digit.

With the current DM snapshot code, with couple of snapshots, the system
comes down rapidly (The throughput numbers in the earlier mail thread and
the complaints from users reported in the list indicate this).

As we fix this multiple snapshots issue, it also makes sense to fix the multiple
snapshots management issue using a single cow device. Besides, using a single
cow device provides a very compelling efficient way to share the blocks among
snapshots. This also enables the snapshots to be managed independently.

> Sizing is an issue that will not go away and is not
> resolvable in any low level OS code, this is a business/user issue.
> Most customers don't even know how much data they're going to have much
> less what their average write rates are, and I don't envision a cow pool
> as solving the sizing issue.

I totally agree. I guess most admins today are loading their servers around 60-70%
utilization to avoid these space issues. While this works ok for primary servers,
it is impractical to waste so much space in each snapshot, especially with multiple
snapshots. I think having a single cow device for each (origin), preferably multiple
origins sharing a single cow device would help alleviate this.

> If I had my way I'd rather see energy put into cow technology for use as
> a disk cache for backup applications and tighter integration with those
> apps.  Better still would be for interfaces from business level
> applications (Oracle, MySQL, etc) to quiece IO, flush buffers, and take
> a consistent copy of the application, state and all.  Putting together
> an application level copy on hardware, being able to move that through a
> tighter workflow to backup media through a common API would be my
> preference instead of having each user create their own individual
> "glue" code.  If you look into SNIA's SMI-S (Storage Management API)
> copy services package there may already be a template for this.  I'd say
> at least that supporting SMI-S Copy Services through that API is
> desirable because a lot of the SRM application today are on their way to
> leveraging that code.

I completely agree. Application co-ordinated snapshot facility is really
important and would really help lot of application developers and admins.
It is going to be interesting and challenging to build a framework that would
satisfy diverse application needs. At Novell, we also have some interest in this
space, and we are going through some internal processes and I believe we would
come out some time soon.

Vijai