[linux-lvm] [RFC] Out of order snapshot deletion

Vijai Babu Madhavan mvijai at novell.com
Fri Jan 12 05:19:06 UTC 2007

Hi,

I thought I would bring this topic in a separate thread so that
it can be discussed independently.

As users start taking a bunch of snapshots and keep them as
backups, we see the following use pattern when the snapshots
get recycled.

Different snapshots have different life cycle. When some one
decides to keep 'x' snapshots, at the recycle phase, the least
recent does not necessarily get deleted.

As users want to keep the daily snapshots for a much longer period
than the bi-hourly snapshots. In the same way, weekly snapshots
live longer than daily snapshots.

I think this is pretty much similar to the way the current backup tapes
are managed.

I want to know if this is the kind of use case that users are having or
the developers are thinking.

The reason why I am posting this is that this out of snapshot deletion
scenario, poses some interesting challenges in the design on the solution
of multiple snapshots that share blocks with each other, as it is a lot easier
to design a solution where the least recent gets deleted always.

Vijai