[linux-lvm] partition resizing

Luca Berra bluca at comedia.it
Sun Jan 28 10:05:22 UTC 2007

On Fri, Jan 26, 2007 at 10:24:15AM +0100, Julien Cigar wrote:
>What I want to do is to reduce /home from 50G and extend /srv of 50G.
>Are the following operations safe for this ? :
>
>#> umount /srv
>#> umount /home
>#> resize2fs /dev/mapper/vg0-home 50G
>#> lvreduce -L-50G /dev/mapper/vg0-home
>#> lvextend -L+50G /dev/mapper/vg0-srv
>#> resize2fs /dev/mapper/vg0-srv
>#> mount /home
>#> mount /srv

assuming that /dev/mapper/vg0-home is 100G yes, else the option to
resize2fs should be the size of /dev/mapper/vg0-home minus 50G.
and you would probably have to fsck vg0-home and vg0-srv after
unmounting.

>Another question I wondered is : what's the difference between
>lvreduce/lvextend and lvresize ?

i think these are 2 interfaces to the same funcrionality.
L.

Luca Berra -- bluca at comedia.it
        Communication Media & Services S.r.l.
 /"\