[linux-lvm] CLVMD and Locking type 3 initialisation failed

James Miller jimm at simutronics.com
Tue Jun 5 18:36:58 UTC 2007

Hello everyone,

I'm setting up a cluster and was hoping to get some insight into trouble I'm
having with running clvmd. My cluster seems to be in a good state (2 nodes).
I using Debian Etch, 2.6.18 kernel, and redhat-cluster-modules for 2.6.18.

---------------------------
cman_tool status:
Protocol version: 5.0.1
Config version: 2
Cluster name: alpha1
Cluster ID: 6387
Cluster Member: Yes
Membership state: Cluster-Member
Nodes: 2
Expected_votes: 2
Total_votes: 2
Quorum: 2
Active subsystems: 3
Node name: hari
Node ID: 1
Node addresses: 209.16.216.121

-------------------------------
cman_tool nodes:
Node  Votes Exp Sts  Name
   1    1    2   M   hari
   2    1    2   M   seldon

------------------------------
cman_tool services:
Service          Name                              GID LID State     Code
Fence Domain:    "default"                           1   2 run       -
[1 2]

DLM Lock Space:  "clvmd"                             2   3 run       -
[1 2]

---------------------------------
When I run vgchange -aly I get the following message:
vgchange -aly
  Unknown locking type requested.
  Locking type 3 initialisation failed.

---------------------------
/etc/lvm/lvm.conf:
#
devices {

	dir = "/dev"
	scan = [ "/dev" ]
	filter = [ "r|/dev/cdrom|" ]
	write_cache_state = 1
	sysfs_scan = 1
	md_component_detection = 1
}

log {
    verbose = 0
    syslog = 1
    overwrite = 0
    level = 0
    indent = 1
    command_names = 0
    prefix = "  "
}

backup {
    backup = 1
    backup_dir = "/etc/lvm/backup"
    archive = 1
    archive_dir = "/etc/lvm/archive"
    retain_min = 10
    retain_days = 30
}

shell {
    history_size = 100
}

global {
    umask = 077
    test = 0
    activation = 1
    proc = "/proc"
    locking_dir = "/var/lock/lvm"
    locking_library = "liblvm2clusterlock.so"
# ***** I VERIFIED the locking_dir exists, the library_dir is correct and
the locking_library is in the right place
    locking_type = 3
    library_dir = "/lib/lvm2"
}

activation {
    missing_stripe_filler = "/dev/ioerror"
    reserved_stack = 256
    reserved_memory = 8192
    process_priority = -18
    mirror_region_size = 512
    mirror_log_fault_policy = "allocate"
    mirror_device_fault_policy = "remove"
}

-------------------------------------
Important output of lsmod:
lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
dm_snapshot            20664  0
dm_mirror              25216  0
dm_mod                 62800  2 dm_snapshot,dm_mirror
lock_dlm               44644  0
dlm                   123040  4 lock_dlm
cman                  132800  15 lock_dlm,dlm
lock_harness           10160  1 lock_dlm

Thank you in advance for your help

--Jim