[linux-lvm] 2.6.22-rc4 XFS fails after hibernate/resume

David Greaves david at dgreaves.com
Mon Jun 18 19:14:06 UTC 2007

OK, just an quick ack

When I resumed tonight (having done a freeze/thaw over the suspend) some libata
errors threw up during the resume and there was an eventual hard hang. Maybe I
spoke to soon?

I'm going to have to do some more testing...

David Chinner wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 18, 2007 at 08:49:34AM +0100, David Greaves wrote:
>> David Greaves wrote:
>> So doing:
>> xfs_freeze -f /scratch
>> sync
>> echo platform > /sys/power/disk
>> echo disk > /sys/power/state
>> # resume
>> xfs_freeze -u /scratch
>>
>> Works (for now - more usage testing tonight)
>
> Verrry interesting.
Good :)

> What you were seeing was an XFS shutdown occurring because the free space
> btree was corrupted. IOWs, the process of suspend/resume has resulted
> in either bad data being written to disk, the correct data not being
> written to disk or the cached block being corrupted in memory.
That's the kind of thing I was suspecting, yes.

> If you run xfs_check on the filesystem after it has shut down after a resume,
> can you tell us if it reports on-disk corruption? Note: do not run xfs_repair
> to check this - it does not check the free space btrees; instead it simply
> rebuilds them from scratch. If xfs_check reports an error, then run xfs_repair
> to fix it up.
OK, I can try this tonight...