[linux-lvm] Does pv failure effect whole vg?

In the case of a pv failure, will the vg that uses that pv become unavailable? Or just the lv that uses the pv? How about at boot time? If a pv is unavailable at boot, will the complete vg be unavailable? Or just the lv using the pv?

I'm trying to decide if I should plan a reboot to split my current vg. Currently my vg00 uses pv md2 (raid1 mirror) and sdb3. If sdb fails, I don't want to loose the lvs using the mirror. Is a vg split required to achieve this?

Sincerely,

Richard van den Beg