[linux-lvm] Aftermath of a dead hard disk

I recently had a hard disk die on me that was in my LVM group and so had to replace it with a new one. When I added the new hard disk into the group, I didn't format it first and so LVM still thinks the new hard disk (250GB) is the size of the old one (60GB). I'd like to convince LVM of the new size. Anyone know how?

I've tried just formatting the hard disk, but that just causes LVM to cry that it can't find the pv on the disk.