RE: [linux-lvm] Mounting part of a logical volume?

Hi;

Since you know you overwrote one disk and no hope of recovery on that, do a vgreduce to get the disk out of the volume group and then try to mount your lvols. It may let you do it if enough extents are available via your second disk.

From: linux-lvm-bounces redhat com [mailto:linux-lvm-bounces redhat com] On Behalf Of p3tr0x aol com
Sent: Friday, March 16, 2007 2:26 PM
To: linux-lvm redhat com
Subject: [linux-lvm] Mounting part of a logical volume?

Hi,

I have a Fedora Core 6 system with a root volume group (VolGroup00) spanning 2 physical drives. Through my own negligence the first drive got overwritten when the system was rebooted with a bootable cd in the drive. This effectively reformated the primary drive but left the second drive intact. What I would like to do is mount the second drive to see if there is any data worth retrieving before rebuilding the system.

I can boot onto a rescue CD so I can access the drive through lvm. lvdisplay reports that it cannot find all of the physical volumes which makes sense as the other drive was reformatted. pvscan also reports a missing drive.

Can anyone give me a pointer on what might be my next step?

Thanks!
Pete