Re: [linux-lvm] failing hard drive

Stuart D. Gathman wrote:
On Thu, 22 Mar 2007, Lamont Peterson wrote:

If you're not using RAID, might I suggest that you do? Those 9 disks would make a nice RAID5 or RAID6 array, and LVM works beautifully on top of software RAID, hardware RAID or any combination of both.

LVM does not provide redundancy (yes, I know it can do mirroring, but I wouldn't suggest that), it's about easily managing lots of storage space. RAID is about reliability/redundancy. Use the right tool for the right job, and use both tools together to get all the best benefits of both.

In my use, reliability is paramount. So I prefer RAID1. You get a performance boost for reads as well. The md based mirrors can be
mounted separately (careful!) if needed for data recovery and bug workarounds.
(E.g. On Centos-3 grub won't install on mirrored boot partition. So unmount md0, setfaulty hdb1, mount hda1 /boot, grub-install, umount hda1,
mount md0, raidhotadd hdb1.)  RAID5 arrays can only be accessed as raid.

Well I changed the drive and it seems to work although dd appears to have copied the error across beacuse smartd reports

Device: /dev/hde, 1 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors.

I guess this would be expected? There are no heat issues.

You are correct about the redundancy issue - it's not my choice. I think space was paramount when the machine was built.

Thanks for all the help,

Tim.