(SOLVED] Re: [linux-lvm] extracting EXT3 from VG

2007/3/24, Bryn M. Reeves <breeves redhat com>:

termeau sebastien wrote:
> Hello,
> I have an hard drive image in a file.
> If I try to mount it directly using "mount -o loop my_file.img
> /mnt/my_dd", fdisk reports
>   mount: unknown filesystem type 'LVM2_member'
> This image contains a volume group that itself contains 4 logical vol
> group.
> lvscan reports:
>   LogVol00  2.94GB
>   LogVol03  64MB
>   LogVol02  256MB
>   LogVol01  2.31GB

Put the image file on a loop device, then activate the volume group it

losetup /dev/loop0 my_file.img
vgchange -ay <vg name>

Then you should be able to access it as normal. Just dd the file system
off the LV device node.

To shut it down:

vgchange -an <vg name>
losetup -d /dev/loop0

Obviously, change loop0 to something else if 0 is already in use.

Kind regards,

Thank you for your help it works fine :-)