[linux-lvm] How to remove crashed inaccessible harddrive from LVM2.

Damir Hasakovic bosnianx at gmail.com
Thu May 10 19:59:17 UTC 2007

On 5/3/07, Bryn M. Reeves <breeves at redhat.com> wrote:

> LVM2 allows you to activate partial volume groups and to remove missing
> physical volumes via the --partial and --removemissing options to
> vgchange and vgreduce. See the manual pages for full details.
>
> It sounds like your failed drive has not 'gone away' but is throwing I/O
> errors for some sectors and maybe causing system hangs. You might be
> better off disconnecting it and booting the system into a rescue
> environment to perform the recovery of the volume group since it does
> not contain important data you want to recover.
>
> Kind regards,
> Bryn.

Do u mean rescue env like booting with the rescue cd?

I tried to do like u said but when i disconnect the drive, some other
device take /dev/sdc from the failed drive but LVM complains that UID
is missing and when i check /etc/backup/VG i can see the missing UID
and that is the drive that have failed /dev/sdc

Now i'm afraird to remove the /dev/sdc from the volume group beacuse
some other drive took over /dev/sdc.

Can u please provide some useful commands that i can begin with?

Kind regards
//damir