[linux-lvm] Restoring data after losing a drive

Saad Shakhshir saads at alum.mit.edu
Sun May 13 16:02:24 UTC 2007

Right now after running 'vgreduce --removemissing' it resized the volume
group to include only the available drives.  I got back my one small logical
volume (/dev/fileserver/home) and the data is all intact.  The other large
logical volume which spanned the rest of the drives (including the one that
went bad) isn't there anymore.  So it thinks that the majority of the volume
group is unused space, however there is data on there.  If I now create a
logical volume on the remaining space in the volume group, will it
automatically see the data that is there?

Where does the filesystem information get stored in terms of inode
locations?  Will that get overwritten now if I create a new logical volume?