[linux-lvm] LVM snapshots in a iSCSI and XenSource environment

S. J. van Harmelen svh at dds.nl
Tue Nov 20 16:12:20 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-11-20 at 14:06 +0100, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> S. J. van Harmelen schrieb:
> > Thanks for your reaction!

> >> Which IMO is a pity, as logically, LVM exists and is usable on that
> >> given Xen server only. This means you can't really use multiple Xen
> >> servers, live migration etc.
> >
> > Are you sure about that? Accoring to Xen lvm over iSCSI is considered as
> > shared storage that can be used for live migration
> > (http://docs.xensource.com/XenServer/4.0.1/installation/ch03s03.html):
> >
> > <snip>
> > 3.3.3. XenServer Hosts with shared iSCSI storage
>
> This implies turning a Xen server into a NAS server, as I understand?
> Yes, this should work - I have a custom Xen setup, and I don't connect a
> NAS and a Xen server on one host.
> But according to the description, yes, it should work.
>

> (...)

> >> Hmm? I don't think I understand what you mean.
> >
> > I mean I will have 2 sets of PV's and LV's. One set on the storage
> > server (that has one PV and one LV that both span the whole disk), and
> > one set op the Xen server (the ones that Xen makes by itself when I add
> > a new vitrual machine).
> >
> > Now the one LV from the storage server that Xen sees is being exported
> > true iSCSI, so it wouldn't know that it is infact a LV that it's talking
> > to. As far as the Xen server conserns this is just a raw disk. So it
> > will then just create the needed PV and LV's on it to provision virtual
> > mahines.
> >
> > The question was if this PV/LV in another PV/LV (on another physical
> > machine) can do any harm?
>
> Should work, as long as you don't use it on two different machines
> (i.e., target/initiator) as LVM at the same time.

> >> # Will only work if snapshot size is equal or greater than
> >> # the original volume
> >>
> >> dd if=/dev/LVM/volume-snapshot of=/dev/LVM/volume
> >>
> >> # or, if the allowed snapshot size is smaller, we don't want our
> >> # precious snapshot dropped
> >>
> >> dd if=/dev/LVM/volume-snapshot of=/dev/LVM/new-volume
> >> dd if=/dev/LVM/new-volume of=/dev/LVM/volume
> >
> > Oke, but how about this when using LVM as I just described a few lines
> > above here with the PV/LV in another PV/LV setup. How can I then restore
> > a snapshot of a virtual machines' LV from the snapshot of the LV on the
> > storage server?
>
> As a prerequisite, you need to "see" that LVM.
> But could you be more specific on what you want (write a bit more
> details in points, write a small diagram etc.)?

Oke... Let's say I have a storage server with one LUN connected to it.
The LUN becomes /dev/sdi on the storage server. I will then create a PV
on /dev/sdi spanning the whole disk. In the PV I will create one LV also
spanning the whole disk. Say we name this LV lv_storage. So the path to
this LV gets to be /dev/lvm/lv_storage.

In iSCSI I will then create a target which points
to /dev/lvm/lv_storage. The Xen server will use open-iscsi to connect to
that target (/dev/lvm/lvstorage) and on the Xen server it
becomes /dev/sdb. At this point Xen has also created a PV that spans the
whole disk (/dev/sdb)

Then when I create a virtual machine on the Xen server, it creates a LV
on /dev/sdb with the size of the virtual disk. Say this LV gets named
lv_virtualmachine1 and the next gets to be named lv_virtualmachine2 and
so on.

So far everything clear?

Now my thoughts where to take snapshots on the storage server. So that
would mean I would take a snapshot of lv_storage. This should not be a
problem. But what if virtual machine 2 crashes and has to be restored?

In that case I cannot restore lv_storage with a dd command, because then
all the data will be restored (lv_virtualmachine1 and
lv_virtualmachine2, because they are both on lv_storage). So is it
possible to "restore" only lv_virtualmachine2 when I took a snapshot of
lv_storage?

I can see the PV and LV's Xen created on lv_storage on the storage
server when I run pvs by the way...

Hope you understand what I mean now?