[linux-lvm] Backuping "special" snapshots

Marc Patino Gómez mpatino at es.clara.net
Wed Oct 3 08:47:43 UTC 2007

Hi  list,

I am searching a way to backup a "special" logical volume. This special
lv doesn't contains a filesystem, it contains a hole image disk of a
running server (MBR,Partition Table, Partitions and filesystems), in
fact it is a VBD (Virtual Block Device) of a HVM Xen Guest.

I want to be able to make the backup without shutting down the Virtual
Machine, but the traditional way :

- make a snapshot
- mount snapshot
- backup the snapshots
- umount snapshot
- remove snapshot

is not suitable for this kind of logical volumes.

I search some information about it, but the only clue is:

fdisk -l -u /dev/vg00/lv00

after looking the partition table, mount a partition with mount with the
corresponding offset parameter...

Exists a way to do this using a snapshot? Any other advice to backup
this kind of logical volume?

Many thanks in advance,

Cheers,

Marc