[linux-lvm] LVM on an external USB device - why not?

Ian Burnett maillist-lvm at ianburnett.com
Mon Oct 15 11:40:29 UTC 2007

My current system configuration is a 250GB internal IDE HDD, managed
using LVM2 under Fedora Core 6. What I would like to do is to put this
disk into an external USB enclosure to reduce heat generation inside the
PC. Another reason is to allow the addition of extra disks very easily
(current case only has room for 1x 3.5" HDD).

Once the USB drive is connected, I will be performing the initial boot
stages off a small (2GB) solid-state CF disk, so I don't necessarily
need the full "boot from USB" capabilities.

I can't see any problems in doing so myself. I realise that if
additional usb-storage devices are added, then the raw device may change
from /dev/sda to /dev/sdb, but with LVM using PV UUIDs to locate
devices, won't that be irrelevant?

Are there any caveats to doing this? I haven't seen anything
particularly relevant on the archives of this mailing list, and I've
Googled around the subject. I did discover a couple of boot-from-USB
walkthroughs scattered around the web which unhelpfully said "don't do
it" without giving any particular reasons. That was from some old posts
(c. 2005), without any citations, and didn't mention LVM2 so could have
been based on LVM1.

All advice welcomed.

Ian.

--