[linux-lvm] how much memory does LVM need? oom-killer comes

Stuart D. Gathman stuart at bmsi.com
Mon Sep 3 14:21:26 UTC 2007

On Mon, 3 Sep 2007, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:

> > Out of memory: kill process 2220 (getty) score 24 or a child
> > Killed process 2220 (getty)
> > Kernel panic - not syncing: Out of memory and no killable processes...
> >
> > Rebooting in 20 seconds..
>
> Again, replying to myself, as no one on this list seem to have a clue
> about problems with LVM snapshots... I added RAM, and was able to boot
> again.

I don't have any answers, but I am very impressed by this kind of testing
and grateful for the contribution.  My thoughts on evil experiments
focused on timing and component failure.  Obviously, resource limits
are extremely important as well.

I suppose ideal behaviour would be to refuse to create a snapshot when
memory is "low".  But defining "low" can be tricky.

--
	      Stuart D. Gathman <stuart at bmsi.com>