Re: [linux-lvm] Rename physical volume

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007, Turbo Fredriksson wrote:

> I made a little mistake a few months ago
> when I added a disk to my VG:
>
> ----- s n i p -----
> ----- s n i p -----
>
> What id like to do is move all data from sdd1
> (372Gb) to the new md3 (just added - empty 465Gb)
> and then remove sdd1 and create it as md1 and
> move the data back.

Use pvmove.  You should provide kernel and lvm versions to see
if any experts here know of bugs or caveats.

> But I'm afraid of holes in the FS (XFS)...

Moving one LV at a time should keep the PEs contiguous.
I think that is what you are talking about.  XFS should work
with non-contiguous PEs, but will lose performance since
it is optimized for contiguous extents.

> Any advice in which procedure I should use
> to accomplish this?

pvmove one LV at a time.

--
	      Stuart D. Gathman <stuart bmsi com>