[linux-lvm] Copy LVs

Chris Cox chris_cox at stercomm.com
Wed Sep 26 16:08:11 UTC 2007

Peter Larsen wrote:
> What's the "official" procedure of cloning Volume Groups or Logical
> Volumes across systems?
>
> Let's say I want to clone the OS to a new box. Do I dd everything over,
> or is there a better "lvm" way?

Across platforms on a network?  Probably no "lvm" way.  I'd use
rsync, but you could to a compressed/gzip'd tar, or whatever depending
on your bandwidth.

(I'd setup the vg's and lv's independently before doing the copy)

If it's a pure migration, in the future you might want to look
at a standalone subsystem that could simply be moved from one
platform to the next (or some other migratable drive soln... even
if it's just moving the drives themselves).