[linux-lvm] Adding PVs to a group

Mon Apr 21 10:04:17 UTC 2008

On 4/20/2008, David Robinson (zxvdr.au at gmail.com) wrote:
>> OT: this list seems a little on the dead side... is there a more
>> active LVM oriented list that you are aware of?

> The list is active, but its quiet on weekends ;)

Oh, right, I forget that some people actually have lives outside work,
unlike me... ;)

> You could modify the partition table in one step rather than two. Use
> fdisk to delete both partitions then create a new partition that
> spans the entire device (just make sure that you create the partition
> with the same start block). The end result should look something like:
>
>    Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/sdb1               1       58352   468712408+  8e  Linux LVM

I have read about doing this, but somehow it just gives me the shudders...

I'll have to play with it sometime in a VM...

>> resize /dev/sdb1, reboot, then

> You may not need to reboot at all... you could use "partprobe" or
> "blockdev --rereadpt", but check /proc/partitions to make sure that
> the kernel knows of the new partition table. I've seen instances
> where partprobe doesn't actually cause the partition table to be
> refreshed.

Thanks - have to read up on partprobe too...

Still feel like a newbie sometimes, even though I've been using Linux
for almost two years now (came over from the windows world)...

>> So, again - does it really matter? Is having my vg2 in one big LVM
>> partition 'better' than having it consist of two different partitions?

> There's no difference, LVM doesn't care.

Ok, thanks... thats what I'll do for now... I'm actually planning on
replacing this server with a different one and rebuilding everything
from scratch in a few months anyway, so I'll redo the partitions then...

For now, simple and safe is best... my main goal is to keep /var from
filling up...

--

Best regards,

Charles