[linux-lvm] Snapshot question...

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Tue Apr 22 16:51:31 UTC 2008

2008/4/22 Brian J. Murrell <brian at interlinx.bc.ca>:
>  Zumastor claim to have solved that with their snapshots.  I'd love to
>  have time to play with it, indeed.
>
>  If Zumastor are here listening, can you answer, are there any plans to
>  get your snapshots into the main kernel tree?

We're listening.
The patches are a little invasive (they touch the VM
system -- zumastor triggers an old deadlock in the kernel,
and we have a fix for it), so
it's not clear they will be accepted unless zumastor
has proven itself in the field.  We're working on
increasing our usability and performance now
to attract more users.  i.e. we're slowly making our ubuntu
packages (including the kernel flavor) follow all the
debian and ubuntu rules, and are now building them
in a ppa at launchpad for hardy.   We also have fairly
good Gentoo support.  (Sorry, we didn't have any Fedora
people on the project, so no Fedora packaging yet.)
- Dan