[linux-lvm] Snapshot question... [scaling problem]

Larry Dickson ldickson at cuttedge.com
Thu Apr 24 17:19:56 UTC 2008

>Then you can't delete an older snapsnot until you delete all newer ones.

Not true of what I was proposing - are we talking past each other? If snap 0
is the current (live) COW, and snap -k refers to time(-k) = time(snap 0) -
k*(interval), then reading the virtual
data for time(-k) involves looking at snap -k, then snap -k+1, ... snap 0,
current data; but stopping the first time your block gets a hit. The only
point with a race is {snap 0, current data}. So you can't delete a NEWER
snapshot until you delete all OLDER ones (because the virtual older snaps
need the newer COWs). That seems a small price to pay, since normally you
throw them away oldest first.

Larry