[linux-lvm] How to move /usr from LVM back to non-LVM?

Georges Giralt georges.giralt at free.fr
Tue Apr 29 09:39:22 UTC 2008

Hi Karl,
If I may,
As you've 4 HDD here what I would do :
Get 2 for system files :
2 part on each of them
1) small 200 MB
2) the remaining.
Set up MD raid on the 2 first partition, use as /boot
Set un md raid partition of the 2 other, us as LVM onto which you put
 lv 1 /
 lv2 /tmp
 lv3 /usr
 lv4 /var
LV5 swap

Get the 2 remaining disks and set only one partition on them,
MD mirror the 2 partiton and set up a LVM on the md.
create lv as needed for /home, database storage area, whatever is needed.

If ons disk dies on you, you can use the remaing for the whole function during
repair time.
When the disk has been replaced, you've only to re-sync the md 's it was
supporting and "everithing's fine".
As LVM is concerned, the software mirror is transparent and goes unnoticed.
If the whole server crash, you can get the user data disks onto another server
and import the LVM to make the data availlable again. This may be planned by
exporting the LVM data in advance (if you've similar servers (same tools, but
maybe different application) )
Hope this helps.