[linux-lvm] F7 will not boot after running backup w/snapshot

Gerry Reno greno at verizon.net
Wed Apr 30 03:51:11 UTC 2008

So I got the vgreduce to work:

reboot into rescue and issue it as the very first command:
lvm vgreduce VolGroup00 --removemissing
lvm vgdisplay -v VolGroup00
<no error this time>
but I do see that my LogVol00 is missing (root disk) (this is what got
corrupted)
lvm lvchange -ay /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01
<no errors, good>
vgdisplay now shows LogVol01 as available, yea!
so now what about the missing LogVol00?
what I want to try is replacing it at exactly the same extents with a
new LogVol00
lvm lvcreate --extents 284 --name=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 VolGroup00
<it succeeds>
vgdisplay now shows both log vols with exactly the same size as
originally before the problem.
vgchange -ay
<succeeds and activates VG and both LV)
mount -t ext3 /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00  /mnt/sysimage
<fails: invalid argument>
so now I think that something needs to be done with uuid but I'm not
familiar with how to do this.
even if I have no access to data on the logvol, if I can mount it I can
restore it.
Anyone know how to make the new LogVol00 mount?

Gerry