Re: [linux-lvm] F7 will not boot after running backup w/snapshot

Gerry Reno wrote:
> Charles,
>   Here's a snapshot ramdisk reference:
>
> http://linuxsoftware.co.nz/blog/2008/03/11/lvm-snapshot-with-no-free-diskspace
>
>   The ramdisk has been working without problem.  I tested it quite a bit
> before putting it into production.  But I don't know LVM internals so I
> cannot say whether it could have had anything to do with the hang that
> occurred.

Please, do *not* use this configuration, it is very dangerous!

Note that you extend Volume Group on you physical disk with another PV
in volatile memory.

Now imagine that your system crash (oh, wait, it happened already!)
After reboot you have no ramdisk, and the Volume Group is incomplete
(because you didn't removed PV on ramdisk).

If there is only snapshot, you can recover it, if some operation placed
here part of another volume, you will lose data.

If there is root volume, system will not boot. Period.

Milan
--
mbroz redhat com