[linux-lvm] resizing physical volume

Nick Couchman Nick.Couchman at seakr.com
Thu Dec 4 13:09:56 UTC 2008

If the disk device has a partition that you're using for LVM, you need to resize that partition using fdisk or the like.  If you didn't partition the device and use the whole disk device, you don't have to worry about resizing the partition - you just have to get Linux to see the increased size of the disk.

If you did partition the disk and need to use fdisk to resize, take LVM offline, run fdisk on the volume, delete the original partition and recreate the partition with the exact same starting place as before and with the new ending location that represents the increased sized.  Usually a good idea to make sure you have a backup of your data before you do this - I've never personally seen it go bad, but I know there are people out there who have.

-Nick

>>> Stepan Kadlec <skadlec at gk-software.com> 2008/12/04 05:52 >>>
Hi,
is there a way to resize the physical partition, that hosts the LVM? can
it be done just by pvresize or do I have to resize the partition itself
first? (by fdisk-like program?) I know I could add the free space as a
new PV, but I would prefer directly extending current PV. is that
possible? how?
thank you, stepan

This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient.  If this email is not intended for you, or you are not responsible for the delivery of this message to the intended recipient, please note that this message may contain SEAKR Engineering (SEAKR) Privileged/Proprietary Information.  In such a case, you are strictly prohibited from downloading, photocopying, distributing or otherwise using this message, its contents or attachments in any way.  If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this e-mail and delete the message from your mailbox.  Information contained in this message that does not relate to the business of SEAKR is neither endorsed by nor attributable to SEAKR.