Re: [linux-lvm] shift PV from disk to raid device?

Doug Ledford wrote on Tue, 09 Dec 2008 14:56:24 -0500:

> One thing that might be happening here (and I'm not sure since I'm not
> an LVM expert) is that when the lvm stack finds the pv on /dev/sdb3
> or /dev/sda3, it sees a full size partition (meaning it can access all
> the way to the end of the device).

But this couldn't normally happen if I just created LVM on top of the md
device, correct? However, as I created a PV on /dev/sda3, did not remove
it and then create the md array on it and then the PV on the md device
there might be something going on ... especially in case the array broke.

> The solution to this problem is to create the raid device with a
> superblock format of 1.1 or 1.2 (aka, -e 1.1 or -e 1.2).

man mdadm gives the difference between 1.1 and 1.2 as 1.2 putting the RAID
superblock 4k after the beginning. Is this another measure against
accidental overwrites? Would you recommend 1.2 if I were to use a newer
superblock version?

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany