[linux-lvm] Re: can I freeze I/O for some time to a given disk / md / dm device?

Gabor Gombas schrieb:
On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 01:01:27PM +0100, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:

Is it possible to "freeze I/O" for some time to a given disk / md / dm device?

Say, "freeze I/O" so that userspace waits for any response for 30, 60 seconds or more?

For real disks you can use /sys/block/sdX/device/unload_heads to achieve
something similar (see Documentation/laptops/disk-shock-protection.txt
in the kernel source about how to use it). That won't work for md/dm
devices though.

Thanks, I think I have enough hints now.

Bryn M. Reeves on linux-lvm list suggested using dmsetup's suspend/resume, which seems to be the easiest way for this purpose (requires device mapper / LVM).

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org