Re: [linux-lvm] Convert a non-striped LV to a striped LV without data loss?

Yeah, that's basically what I want to do.  Technically, one of the pvs is in use and has the lv on it.  I have three perc controllers in the system and wanted to stripe the root partition across all three arrays instead of having it sit on one array.

I think the only option I have is to extend the current lv and specify that it should use 3 stripes for the extention, but I can't figure out how to move the existing data from the old linear potion of the logical volume.  I'm hoping that some incarnation of lvreduce could do that.

Sincerely,
Doug Eubanks
admin dougware net

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 2:57 PM, Stuart D. Gathman <stuart bmsi com> wrote:
On Tue, 30 Dec 2008, Doug Eubanks wrote:

> No, I have a current linear lv that I want to stripe across three different
> hardware based RAID 5 controllers (3 pvs).

I think he wants to know if he can add the 3 new PVs to the same volume
group as the linear lv (of course), and then migrate the LV to be striped
across the 3 PVs.

As far as I can see, this is certainly possible with device mapper - but
I'm not aware of any support in current user mode tools.

--
             Stuart D. Gathman <stuart bmsi com>
   Business Management Systems Inc.  Phone: 703 591-0911 Fax: 703 591-6154