[linux-lvm] Docs on clustered option of vgcreate

Gerrard Geldenhuis Gerrard.Geldenhuis at datacash.com
Thu Feb 7 17:26:10 UTC 2008

Excellent, thanks for the answer, that makes it a lot clearer.

So coupled with exclusion lists etc.. I could have multiple machines
connect to one LUN and each have its own logical volume. Is there a
concept of a "master" in the cluster or does it work in the same way as
tcp with an exponential backoff when the metadata is locked by a host
for changing. I am assuming that cluster aware locking would allow
server-a to create a new lv but not simalteneosly allowing server-b to
create a new lv too.

I know should be experimenting with this but will ask in the mean time
while I wait for my "test lun".

If host A creates a lv on a shared storage will it automatically be
marked as only belonging to host A or is that something you have to do
by hand. I read somewhere in the man pages about tags that you need to
add to achieve such things.

Regards