[linux-lvm] pvmove safety

How safe is pvmove in LVM2 when being operated on live volumes? I understand a backup is always a good policy as nothing can be 100% safe, but is the command known to produce unreliable results when used on a live filesystem? I am reading http://tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/removeadisk.html and the warning up top is hard to miss, but I wonder if it’s a bit outdated?

Thanks!
jlc